Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Lesson 6 (12/5/2005)

I really feel like lessons are starting to pay off! My physical techniques may not be growing by leaps and bounds, but my knowledge of how music is put together is really starting to blossum. I feel that the techinques are going to come. Last night I even got in and out of some barre chords without too much trouble.

As for last night's lesson, we played several songs in several keys. "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" in C, G, D, and E. The program I wrote has REALLY helped me with those keys. I can almost pick out all the IV's and V's without thinking about it.

We then moved on to talking about scales and patterns. He mentioned the CAGED method. I had heard of that before, but I didn't really know what it meant. In short, there are five basic patterns of major scales. They are named CAGED after the chord shapes in open position that they mimic. Then he said, take the C scale that you already know, and move it up a fret. I started playing, missed one or two, but pretty much got it right.

We finished up with some "Jingle Bells".

For next time, I plan on having the C shape playable in any position. I think that is very doable. I might even try to figure out one of the other shapes, say A?

Later,

Louis

No comments: