Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Lesson 5 (11/28/2005)

Wow, a week already! Thanksgiving really ate up (pun not intended) my practice time. I didn't get to do much of anything guitarwise this past week. I told that Andy right off and he totally understood.

This week was all about keys. Changing keys. Working on knowing the I, IV, and V of every key. Playing songs in the different keys. We started with "Wild Thing". Not really a song that I care too much about, but great for playing around with different keys. We took it, played it in C, then D, then G, all the way around.

He then asked me to name a song. Several things came to mind, but most were not really good for the lesson, and I knew that. Finally my mind stopped on "Gimme Three Steps". Turned out to be a very good one. We played that around in several keys.

The lesson ended with Andy telling me to get to know those keys cold. He didn't say "for next time", but that's what I'm taking upon myself to do. By next Monday I expect to have the I, IV, and V, as well as all sharps/flats for every key C, D, E, F, G, A, and B.

To that end, I have written a little .NET 2.0 program this morning that quizzes me, kinda a flash card thing. It works well so far. If anyone has any interest in it, email me.

Till next week!!

No comments: